Again in 2015 I’m hitting the soybeans really hard. Out of all my available acres for food plots, I have put in almost 90% into soybeans. Some of those soybeans will be tilled under in July and bulb producing brassicas like purple top turnips will be planted in their place. The brassicas will be able to take advantage of the nitrogen fixed by the soybeans up to that point. Two food plots “The Boot” and “The Culdesac” will also be tilled under in late August and my fall winter rye/appin turnips/dwarf rape blend will be planted in those small interior plots. I use soybeans as a way to fix nitrogen for future plots and to have great weed control on plots I plan on putting in greens later in the year.
I broke ground on new acreage too this year expanding the size of two food plots. In past years I have been reluctant to burn off the debris from the switch grass that covered the ground previously so I was forced to till the ground for hours just to break it. Burning is by far the method of choice, but absent my confidence in pulling this off without letting the fire get away from me, and my only other choice was to remove the thatch. So…this year I bought a 3 point hay rake to do the job and it worked great. It removed the debris as planned and now I have a way to create fire barriers for burning if I desire to do so.
The only remaining acreage not planted in soybeans this year I put into field corn. I don’t necessarily like corn as a food plot because of cost, but I need to be able to start rotating some crops on my beans. The corn should also provide a little more variety and might extend my plots later into the late season. I only put in about 1.5 acres of corn so I also built another electric fence around this plot.
This year, all spring planted food plots were put in April 30th and May 1st. Next up, spraying in about 2 more weeks.